Friday, May 9, 2014
Edible landscaping project update
Just a quick post to show you the progress we've made on our front yard edible landscape project. Last weekend we turned over the grass and removed all the roots. Yesterday, we had compost delivered which I spent all day turning into the soil.
Most of the compost left under the tarp will be applied as a layer of mulch. This part of the project has been hard going but the soil was in definite need of some love and attention. The painters have been doing an excellent job on the house sanding down to the wood and priming everything in sight, which is why the house looks weird! Once the mulch is laid we can lay out the stone paths. Next week the shrub choices will be finalized and ordered and I can start planting!
The house is over 100 years old and my kids ask me every time I dig in the front yard if I've found any treasure. Well, so far this is the best find -a little ceramic cat without a tail. I'm always worried I'll find another kind of "treasure" - old tins holding dead pet hamsters and budgies, but luckily none of those have been unearthed!
Enjoy the weekend!